While picking up trees for a client I saw a neglected semi-dying redwood tree on the end of a row. I asked about a discount on the tree for the condition it was in. They responded by letting me know that it was going to be thrown away and that I could take it for free.
I couldn’t see much of the base as it was buried inside the container, but once I cut down the sides I was pleased with the interesting base it provided. Reverse taper, yes. Nonetheless this is something that can be a fun project from here on out for free. Here are a few more photos of it:
To see the removal process I went through to get this baby out read my earlier blog post. I got the bagged California Juniper home and began unwrapping so fast that I forgot to take pictures of it happening…
I made sure to make the cuts clean to facilitate root growth once potted up. Make sure to do this on all of the large cuts you make to the roots.
Here you can see all of the smaller roots coming out of the root ball.
I cut these clean off right at the edge of the soil. This is another place that roots will emerge. Typically these are ripped and not cleanly cut. Leaving them without a clean cut can be a major factor when the tree is trying to recover.
After that I cut back the long thick roots to better be able to fit this into a container. I made sure to do so without moving the root ball and shaking any more soil loose.
Here is the prepared container. I drilled holes in the bottom, and used several 2×6’s that I’ve “saved” from various burn piles.
Then after I strung wire through and laid the bottom layers of soil, I set the tree in to get it secure.
The purpose for using the wood to decrease the size of the box is so that there aren’t any large gaps of solely pumice. Pumice and the native soil are vastly different, so you would end up with large pockets of dry pumice and the root ball of soil would still be wet. Having a smaller area helps to keep them similar in water and oxygen balance.
As you can see here, I used the higher branches to secure the tree into the container. I did this because the soil and root ball weren’t held together well enough to use as a sole anchoring point.
After chopsticking the pumice in to fill the gaps I ended up with this.
I then moved it to a better location in my garage on top of a heating mat to keep the root temperatures favorable for root growth.
To use the new handy update on the iPhone I took these as well:
Hopefully you’ll read the updated post on this tree when it begin pushing new growth. From all I can tell the dig was a success and should yield a healthy tree within the year.
Cleaning your trees before wiring and styling is just as important as wiring itself. Here are a few photos of before and after of cleaning the interiors to give you an idea of what that looks like:
This is a spindly piece of foliage that gets removed before any branch selection is made.
This is what I started with:
This is what I finished with:
It isn’t exactly what I wanted, but I recognized myself just wanting to be done, so I left it and I’ll let it grow out a bit and repot it next season to split the trees. This isn’t the final design by any means. It is a pretty good start to a $1 purchase from Walmart 😀
I had a few pretty serendipitous opportunities to get some thick Crepe Myrtle cuttings. I barely caught someone on my local Facebook pages that had trimmed several large multi-stemmed Crepe Myrtles and I was able to stop by and rummage through the pile before it got hauled off.
You can see below that after only a week or two several of the hardwood cuttings have sprouted leaves.
This is what I use to root my cuttings. This is a 2 ft. x 10 ft. x 1 ft. box filled with silica sand from Home Depot. I used two misting systems from Lowe’s meant for the patio. I also put a timer that goes off every hour for 3 minutes. Then topped it off with a thick clear plastic sheet. This is in full shade all day long.
Here are the cuttings a few days later. You can see that the leaves have sprouted and have grown several pairs of leaves. Only one has roots so far and I’ve moved it and put it in a terra cotta pot mixed with bonsai soil and sand and put it back in the box.
This is a fantastic way to create material to be able to work with as Crepe Myrtles grow really fast and can be multiplied with ease.
I went ahead and clipped a bunch of Lamb’s Ear heads off of my parents house before escrow closes. It isn’t the best time to collect seeds, but it is late enough in Summer.
This is from two flower stalks. Seeds all over the place.
Wear some gloves and run your hands back and forth on the the stalk and then hit the whole thing against the side of the bin or your hand and seeds will fly.
Then sift the leftovers out from the mess you’ve created.
Then label the seeds before you forget or misplace them. You’d be surprised how often that happens.
Lamb’s Ear grows like a weed, literally. Sow seeds in the Spring for best results. I’ve put some in my compost and then have had seeds germinate in my beds where I’ve placed my compost in the middle of Summer. Next time I’ll compost better and that shouldn’t happen!